How to Save Gas – 8 Great Tips
When money is tight we often look for simple ways to save cash. Cutting your gas bill down is a great way to start. But where to begin? Follow the simple steps below.
1. When out on the roads, avoid staying to close to the car in front of you. When they hit the breaks or slow down this will force you to hit the breaks too. My point? Accelerating uses much more gas than when you are driving at a constant speed.
2. When you park your car, try not to park in the sun. If possible, find some shade to park under. The reason for doing so is to prevent the car from heating up. When the car heats up the gas evaporates quicker. This means even when you are not driving you can lose quite a lot of fuel.
3. The more the car weighs, the more fuel it needs to accelerate. Try to empty your car as much as possible by getting rid of things that are not required like golf clubs and football equipment.
4. You should always plan your journeys in advance. Plenty of people take longer routes than needed. You can find the most fuel efficient routes using a sat-nav or an online route planner.
5. Make sure your tires are inflated correctly. You can find the correct tire pressure levels in the car owners manual. By doing so, you can increase your gas mileage by over 3%. This may not seem like much but when you add it up over a year you can see why it is worthwhile.
6. You can also buy a new, fuel efficient car. There are plenty of hybrid cars which can save you a heap load of cash on gas each month. Of course, this may not seem like the cheapest of options at first. However, over the period of a year or two the amount you save on your gas bill allows the new car to pay for itself.
7. Avoid idling as much as possible. Whenever you get out of your car to drop something off or post something, make sure you turn the cars engine off. It only takes a few seconds to turn it back on again so what is the point of wasting fuel idling?
8. Finally, make sure you use cruise control to your advantage. By maintaining a consistent level of speed you are saving a lot of money.